Each audition will last approximately five minutes and include:
- Scales (as listed below)
- Sight reading
- A section of a prepared piece (1-2 minutes in length) of the student’s choice which best represents their playing level.
- Violin: G, Bb – 2-octaves for the string orchestras; any two 3-octave scales for the full orchestras (1 major/1 minor preferred).
- Viola, Cello: C, D – 2-octaves for the string orchestras; two 3-octave scales for the full orchestras (1 major/1 minor preferred)
- Bass: E, G – 1-octave for the string orchestras; two 2-octave scales for the full orchestras (1 major/1 minor preferred)
Full Orchestras ONLY:
- Woodwinds, Brass: Chromatic over the full range of the instrument, plus the C and E scales (not concert pitch), as many octaves as possible.
- Piano, Mallets: Chromatic, Bb and E scales, all 3 octaves.
- Harp: No scales.
- Percussionists will be expected to audition on both mallets and snare (with rudiments).